Monroe Street Lift Station
Sewer Utility Bill Information
Sewer System Maintenance Program
The city of Port Townsend was founded in 1851, platted in 1852, and incorporated in 1891. It was known as a seafaring community with a safe harbor for commercial commerce. The first sanitary sewer lines were installed in 1906, made of vitrified clay, and had inspection lamp wells. In 1908 the Empire State Surety Company of New York supplied a bond of $5,000 for the construction of a sewer system. The American Bonding Company of Baltimore provided another $21,000, in 1909, for additional sewer system construction. City Ordinance #753 was passed in 1910, eliminating “privy vaults” and requiring connection to sewer mains, where accessible. Today there are 3,992 service connections to 76 miles of city owned sewer lines; made of reinforced concrete, polyvinyl chloride (PVC), and vitrified clay.
Aerial view of Wastewater Treatment Facility
The wastewater treatment facility was upgraded in 1993 and is located in the North Beach neighborhood of Port Townsend. It borders environmentally sensitive areas of Fort Worden State Park and Chinese Garden Lagoon. The facility is designed for a population of 12,000 and currently serves approximately 9,000 residential and commercial users. Customers contribute wastewater flows for treatment averaging 950,000 gallons per day. More Info...
The city of Port Townsend’s compost facility is located on leased land from Jefferson County at, 603 County Landfill Road. The facility went on line in 1993 after upgrading the Port Townsend’s wastewater treatment facility. Finished product from the compost facility conforms to or exceeds all standards of 40 CFR Part 503, WAC 173-350-220 and WAC 173-308 as a Class “A” compost. It contains nitrogen and phosphorus-essential nutrients for healthy plant growth.