Welcome to the City of Port Townsend
Historic Preservation Committee
Meets 1st Tuesday, 3:00 p.m., City Hall, Conf. Rm. 3
The City of Port Townsend’s Historic Preservation Committee is comprised of local citizens who serve as a review board for proposals regarding historically significant resources within the city. They advocate for historic preservation and provide recommendations to the Department of Development Services regarding proposed projects. The committee prepares and proposes revisions to design review guidelines for evaluating development proposals.
These design guidelines are established for the following purposes:
- To supplement land use regulations, promoting historic preservation while encouraging and promoting the public health, safety and welfare of the citizens of Port Townsend.
- To advocate for historic preservation in urban design decisions.
- To provide guidance to applicants in choosing appropriate treatments.
The Historic Preservation Committee also:
- Provides information to the public on resources available to preserve and restore historic properties
- Provides information on tax incentives for preserving historic resources and reviews applications for special tax valuations
- Reviews and comments on land use regulations, developments and municipal improvements as they relate to historic resources
- Assists with historic properties surveys
For more information:
- Port Townsend Design Guidelines
- U.S. Secretary of Interior Standards for Rehabilitation
- Window Preservation Guidance
- Jefferson County Historical Society
- Federal Tax Incentives for Preserving Historic Structures
- Zoning Regulations Historic Residence Property Survey Maps
- USDA Home Repair Program
- Washington State Historical Society
- Washington Trust for Historic Preservation
- National Park Service
Explore the History of Your House by searching the WISAARD: Washington Information System for Architectural and Archaeological Records Data. It includes information and images of nearly 1,000 Port Townsend properties.
The HPC meets on the first Tuesday of the month at 3:00 p.m. in the 3rd floor conference room of City Hall located at 250 Madison Street. Please confirm the date and location of the HPC’s next meeting by checking the City meeting Schedule.